Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Conan The Barbarian and Other Existential Questions

There are a lot of things on my mind: Japan considering doing away with cash currency; the looming remake of Conan the Barbarian (which, you'll agree, is a matter of global concern); the Natural Born Killers soundtrack I've rediscovered after more than a decade; the brilliant Scientology expose series I finished reading last night (see previous post); the 27 kind people (so far) who have joined this blog; my hands stinging from the freeze; and other such thoughts.

But the most interesting idea popped into my head yesterday, as I walked from my car to my flat, doing my best to avoid our nosy caretaker with that weird Eastern-European accent and my lesbian, parrot-on-shoulder neighbour Dolly. I thought about the two weeks of study leave I'm busy with and how strange it feels to step away from your job and look upon it from a distance and with fresh perspective. It's like unplugging from the Matrix. Sitting up on Northcliff Hill, looking down at your world and the tiny people and cars that run around in it like anxious insects.

I've been in journalism for seven years. And it occurred to me that I have spent those years fighting in the trenches. Covering the mayhem of the xenophobic attacks, getting inside the world of an Austrian father who kept his son locked up for four years or getting our MEC fired for splashing out on a R900 000 Merc without bothering to so much as insure it.
This morning I read my own newspaper with a front-page story which - because of the university course I am doing - I had to pass on to a colleague. I was happy to have someone else investigate it, to avoid the risk of getting scooped by another newspaper. It was done really well and was a welcome break from the violence and despair the front pages scream way too often. A part of me wanted to rush back to the newsroom and get stuck into the thrill of breaking a big story, while another calmed me, telling me to savor the chance to look over the battlefield without being a soldier. I wonder how many people feel the same way about their worlds?
Links:
Conan reboot (God help us)
Scientology series (read it, it's fascinating - especially the part about the cult / church's battle against the taxman)

6 comments:

  1. THERE's A REMAKE OF CONAN? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better believe it. It's not official yet, but there are talks. I just hope they'll get a real actor and not a computer-generated Arnie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesss, the compo arnie was scary. you have too many things on your mind. currently i have food and and overful bladder on my mind. also now...oversharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier".

    Anxious little insects indeed, and the real question is why all the anxiety? What does that mean?

    It's funny that you would write this today, as it has been today that I too got given a birds eye view of my little corner of the world, and it's apparent complete lack of meaning. The anxious insects get squashed, no prize for their anxiety, no tear for their suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many people have the luxury of actually getting time away from the battle field to see how much they like it? You're one of the lucky ones...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wonder... do you ever find yourself overwhelmed? burnt out even? I mean - there you are in the midst of the battle, which you know will continue, for as long as we humans do, and take on more shapes and forms then even the most creative mind, like your own, can fathom. Does it all ever just come down on your shoulders at once, making you want to hide away, or get a f***ing beer?

    ReplyDelete

 
Sorted bru, tagged by Amatomu.com Add to Technorati Favorites