Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Horned Terror and Discovery D-Day

"Sibongile Mnisi was sitting in front of her house, eating pap and meat. Then a goat came out of the bush... Some who were there say the crazy creature charged up to Sibongile - and plunged its horns into her chest! Screaming children threw rocks at the horned terror and it ran off... but it was much too late for Sibongile."
Yes, this is from the latest Daily Sun. Yes, I promise I won't make this a habit. But "horned terror"... how could I resist?
Hell of a day yesterday. The Hawks (our new crime-busters) bungled the announcement of their first breakthrough and have now been credited with the arrest of two low-life robbers and their sangoma (witch doctor) down in Kwazulu-Natal. Some spokesperson got a little too enthusiastic about the foiled jewellery store hit... but forgot to give the Hawks a heads up.
I also covered the start of the Razor Gang trial in Alexandra. The actual trial was postponed to today but it was fun watching some other suspect being carried up to court from the cells by four policemen. Apparently the magistrate has such a fierce reputation in the township that the suspected robber didn't want to face him in court. (The same magistrate who sent the leader of the Knife Gang to jail for 40 years.) This guy kicked and screamed all the way up to the dock and had to be held down like a wild animal while the magistrate read him his rights.
Today is D-Day for the matter of Alex Eliseev VS Discovery Health. For most of this year I have been fighting for them to pay for a set of scans I need to have done. They have, so far, politely told me to go to hell. The irony is that if I check into hospital (which costs them R20 000 / R30 000?) they will cover the scans. If I do it out of hospital, it costs them R4 600. And this is the amount they are refusing to pay. So this evening I have a dispute hearing where I will state my case to a panel of three of their doctors. The medical aid will respond and there will be a ruling.
My consumer battles have included: a fight to get my cellphone provider to pay me back for a string of calls made by the burglar who cleaned out our house a few years ago (to his friends in Nigeria); to challenge the hike in insurance premiums on my car; and to make my bank sorry for freezing all my accounts (leaving me with R5) because of their own bungles. All of these I have won, but this one is definitely my longest and most complex battle. Just as well I have the energy of 70 000 toyi-toying construction workers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sorted bru, tagged by Amatomu.com Add to Technorati Favorites